Over the last few weeks we have been working on healing. This week lets get to grips with the psychophysiology of deep healing change. Whether it is bad eating habits, lack of sleep or exercise, looking in the mirror and being self-critical, having thought patterns like life is hard/ life is a burden/ life is suffering ,people eventually disappoint me, better to expect the worse than hope for the best etc.
We all know these habits and thought patterns do not make us healthy, happy or wholesome. Yet we persist in continuing with them. Firstly why are they so difficult to change and stop?
Simply it is because most of our habits and patterns come from our sub and unconscious mind which actually accounts for 95% of thinking on our best day. The conscious mind that creates the dreams and desires of wanting to be happy and healthy only account for 5% of our thinking on a daily basis.
Therefore it is going to take awareness of what habits we wish to change and applied focussed effort through mindfulness (watching the mind and ourselves) and meditation (interfering with the mind and changing sub/unconscious thoughts) plus journaling seeing the patterns to rewrite some of our original brain programming.
You will all need a little book and pen for this week’s classes. We will need to start writing down what habits we would like to change and our automatic thought patterns.
Firstly it is important to notice when we display behaviour which is not conducive to our wellbeing. After a stressed day do you reach for the carrot cake, glass of wine, Netflix, or an argument? We are using some form of reward or compensation for the stress we have just been through. Therefore firstly we need to reduce the stress during the day and then change the reward pattern. Try this
- Identify the habit/thought pattern write it down.
- Then ask what are you getting out of the habit, it is comfort in the cake, reward watching a film late at night because there is no time for you during normal hours, wine to numb yourself to the reality of your life.
- Observe yourself and use your wisdom. The next time you decide you want to watch the movie until late, set an alarm and turn the film off even if you are half way through it, you can always watch the rest tomorrow. Or if you find yourself standing in front of an open fridge or ordering a cake, is this what your body really needs or is it looking for real fuel, PRANA. So take 7 long deep breaths through your nose, suspending the inhale for as long as you can each time. Then take your action.
- Are you looking for comfort?. Instead of the sweet treat have a cosy up of plain or herbal tea ,red bush is really great for this. Give yourself a hug and make yourself feel comforted, or go for a cosy nap after a warm shower and drop lavender essential oil on your towel to feel relaxed and cosy. Acknowledge and say out loud the change you have made to signal to your subconscious that you know this pattern and have made a change.
When you are feeling tired, worried or uptight about a deadline try these alternatives to food, messing it up, self sabotage etc.
- A cold shower
- A cool glass of water
- A warm cosy cup of herbal tea, red bush is like drinking plain black tea.
- Smelling an essential oil like lavender
- Breathe deeply through the nose hold it and exhale through the nose. Do this 7 times.
- Chant as you wake up.
- Breath of fire for 3mins.Visualise the change.
- Monitor your negative self talk. Refrain your story each time you want to say I am a sugar addict, stop and say out loud. I am working on becoming healthier. I love to eat healthy food.
- Accept you will falter, but when you do pre forgive yourself and give yourself a big hug, we only learn through mistakes. Creating new patterns and habits takes time so be patient.
This week’s classes:
Mon 25 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom NEW
Tues 26 May 8.30-9.45am Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom NEW
Tues 26 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom
Wed 27 May 5.00- 7.30am Sadhana (FREE) @ zoom
Wed 27 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom
Thurs 28 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom
Fri 29 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom
Sun 31 May 5.30-6.45pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom
UK Times are 1pm for afternoon classes. There is a new Password for zoom classes please email for details
First online class FREE, thereafter 600Rs per class or 4000Rs 4 weeks Sri Lankan residents.
UK £5 per class or £20 for 4 weeks.