We detoxify continuously throughout life. We process food, thoughts, and all forms of energy. The trouble is that we accumulate more than we process. On a physical form if our body is not eliminating all our metabolic waste we become highly acidic, which compromises our health. We can also become weighed down under the remnants of old emotions and thought patterns. When we want to cleanse and clean ourselves out on a deep level, we go on a fast and do detoxification kriyas and pranayamas.
So how do you know if you need to detox? If you live in a city, eat processed food and do not regularly exercise and meditate the chances are you need to detox at least once a year. Here are other signs to look for:
- Feeling tired all the time, fatigue
- Dark cycles under your eyes
- Cysts, fibrosis, kidney stones or clots
- Eczema, acne, headaches, joint pain
- Bad breath, foul smelling stools and perspiration
- Constipation (for women is defined if we do not pass a stool within 18 hours of eating and men 24 hrs)
- Yellow skin, purple lips, coated tongue
- Yellow or brown in the whites of the eyes
How can a cleansing diet, detox Kriyas and Pranayama help? When the body does not get the level of calories it is use to per day, it goes into detoxifying mode. The aerobic detox kriyas and breath of fire increases circulation and your metabolic rate thereby stimulating the exit of toxins. Ayurveda and Kundalini yoga does not advocate water fasts, as the drastic lack of food makes the body think it is starving and the body attempts to preserve resources which is the opposite of the detoxification and elimination process.
Practical A detox is a powerful tool for healing, strengthening the body and restoring vitality as we grow older. However, before doing a detox you need to check with your doctor or naturopath, especially if you are on meditation. Sticking to detox is only half the challenge. Physical detoxification is accompanied by emotional and mental cleansing. Anger and negative thought patterns can be released especially if you use food to numb yourself. Use your meditative mind and meditation practice to help you watch your mind and emotions.
My detox day
My program was as follows:
- Wake up mindfully becoming conscious of the moment and my mood.
- Cold shower and dry body brushing, tongue scraping and cleaning the monkey glands.
- Started with chanting Japji, meditation and mindfulness practice 1 hour
- Sipping plenty of alkaline water (ie over ph7) throughout the day.
- Followed by a Tbsp. of virgin, organic coconut oil and acidophilus based mango, strawberry smoothie.
- I notice immediately how quick I felt angry today and allowed myself to feel the emotion and attempted not get taken away by it.
- Physical exercise, 20mins aerobic walking and running, plus stretching, yoga asana’s and rolling on a dowel to stretch the fascia.
- 2 full glasses of green smoothie, a mixture of king coconut water,organic kale, parsley, moringa powder, cucumber, green apple, green banana, ½ avocado, ½ an orange. I chewed my smoothie to get the most nutrients out of it.
- Getting on with my day and work, feeling super energetic.
- Tea time drink of freshly ground turmeric, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of manuka honey.
- Teaching Kundalini yoga followed by delicious organic, beet and pumpkin soup.
- An early night to get enough rest which is essential.
Pranayama – Breath of Fire purifies and detoxes your blood & increases your vital energy. Detoxification Kriya – Vatskar Dhouti Kriya to master the digestive system: This is a very secret kundalini yoga kriya that has been used for centuries. It must be done on an empty stomach and it great to get the bowl moving in the mornings.
Sit in any comfortable posture. Make your lips round in an “O” shape. Start inhaling through your mouth as if you are sipping in air. Sip until your stomach is full and hold the breath. Now rotate and churn your belly with your breath held in until you need to exhale. Exhale through your nose in a steady stream. Only repeat this process a maximum of 3 times in total. It is prohibited to do this more times in a day. Do this for 40 days without missing a day to heal your digestive system.
Sat nam Fi x sanasumainsrilanka.wordpress.com read our weekly blogs and brain candy updates
This week’s classes:
Mon 3 April 6.15-7.30pm Kundalini Yoga @ Prana Lounge, 60 Horton Place, Col 7
Tues 4 April 6-7pm Meditation @ The Om Space, 185/9 Havelock Road, Col 5
Wed 5 April 4.45- 7am Sadhana @ 9 Greenlands Lane, Col 5 (FREE)
Wed 5 April 7.15-8.15pm Kundalini Yoga @ the Om Space, 185/9 Havelock Road
Sat 8 April 6-7.30pm Gong Bath @ the Sri Yoga Shala, Thalpe, Galle
No Mon class next week but all the other classes at Om Space until new year.