21 Stages of Meditation – UPSET
Last week I attended my first online Level 3 Retreat, 21 Stages of Meditation with Shiv Charan. There were over 100 of us online, but Sara, Shaunagh and I gathered at Guava House to experience the experience of this online program together.
About the Venue
We stayed at one of our favourite yoga Retreat venues called Guava House in Hematagama. It is a beautifully created Villa on top of a hill surrounded by large trees with views of Bible Rock. You really feel you are away from everything with the added luxury of an infinity pool, beautiful soft furnishings, craved wood decorations, wooden floors, with a beautiful mezzanine for yoga.
About the Retreat
The Retreat was about understanding the emotional patterns within our mind during the meditation process. However these same emotions dominate our everyday reality. When you first begin to meditate, instead of your mind being calm and thoughtless we are confronted by lots of thoughts and emotions which makes us feel uncomfortable, challenged and upset. This is because you have changed the status quo, suddenly you are aware and watching your mind instead of just running on automatic pilot directed by the subconscious mind. The automatic pattern of a busy positive mind expanding the currents of subconscious thoughts or stories in the negative mind is being monitored. You do not like what you see in your mind, this upsets or disturbs you.
Solutions – We can Help Ourselves
We need the discipline to sit with our upset. Not blame anyone or create a story around our upset. Feel, recognise, acknowledge, the upset, then breathe, clear and dissolve the upset again and again. Usually our pain body feeds on the upset adding to the drama and reaffirming it.
- Write a list of things that upset you on a regular basis. Be specific we are talking about upset (disturbance) not irritation, anger, etc.
- Do not have a fix it attitude. For example that person upsets me if I do not associate with them they cannot upset me.
- Or spiritual by pass upset. This means using spiritual ideas to sidestep or avoid facing unresolved emotional issues. For example, I no longer feel upset, I am above such base feelings, it is other people who get upset and project that on to me.
- Just be courageous enough to OWN your upset, feel it in the body and dissolve it with breath and mantra. It like all emotions will pass if you do not attach to it.
- Keep this awareness process until the upset starts to shift.
- Be neutral, have an honest perception of yourself, do not judge yourself, reduce the projection of your story, shame/blame.
About the Food
The food was a highlight, with fresh fruit salads, smoothie bowls and homemade muesli for breakfast. Cool avocado salads, hearty veggie soups, home made hoppers and delicious veggie curries for lunch and dinner. We included a few treats like chocolate, chia pudding with a mango compote and mango/rhubarb crumble.
See you all next week Sat nam x
Just for your info our website address is http://www.sanasuma.co.uk/index.php
And our facebook name is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanasuma/203581616391361
(please become our friend and press the like button).
This week’s classes:
Mon 6 July 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom NEW
Tues 7 July 9.30-10.45am Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom & Live Class 9 Greenlands, Lane
Tues 7 July 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom & Live Class 145/5 Fife Road
Wed 8 July 5.- 7.30am Sadhana (FREE) @ zoom
Wed 8 July 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @zoom & Live 9 Greenlands Lane, Col 5
Thurs 9 July 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Fiona @ zoom & Live 9 Greenlands Lane, Col 5
Fri 10 July 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom
Sun 12 6-7.15pm Kundalini Yoga Shaunagh @zoom
UK Times are 1.30pm for afternoon classes. There is a new Password for zoom classes please email for details
First online class FREE, thereafter 600Rs per class or 4000Rs 4 weeks Sri Lankan residents.
UK £5 per class or £20 for 4 weeks.
We also have a Health & Healing Retreat at Ulpotha 24 July – 2 August2020 please email me if you wish to join it.